Della’s incredibly luscious lasagna is to die for! Jimmie and I were dinner guests of a dear family friend a few weeks ago. We stopped to visit with her on our way back from an event in Land O’ Lakes. It had been a cold, drizzly, miserable day and Della threw open her door to us, immediately warming our toes and hearts. We enjoyed great conversations while nibbling on yummy appetizers as the delicious smell of her fabulous lasagna baked in the oven. Not even joking here, it was the best lasagna I’ve ever tasted.
This recipe is based on Ree Drummond’s, but with an incredibly savory twist. Sautéd mushrooms! And to achieve the same exact umami flavor I experienced, you’ll have to use the same exact ingredients Della used. In some dishes, the brands you use do make a difference!
The sausage is the hot variety of bulk breakfast sausage found in the meat case of your local grocery store. Della used Publix brand. The mozzarella cheese has to be Sargento’s sliced. And the canned tomatoes are Tuttorosso from Red Gold. They’re Indiana grown where the best tomatoes in the whole wide world are found. There’s something magical about the soil in that Midwest state. I often tell Jimmie we shall one day have three tri-axle loads of Indiana dirt brought down to our Florida backyard. 😁
To make this incredible lasagna with less work, Della uses Barilla oven-ready noodles. I love them because they help to make a nice, firm lasagna that lifts out of the pan in a gorgeous serving. Sometimes noodles that are boiled can make for a sloppy lasagna that must be spooned out. Still tastes good, but not so pretty.
Della’s Luscious No-Boil Lasagna
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb Publix hot breakfast sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can Tutorosso whole tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can Tutorosso tomato paste
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt1 box Barilla oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 1 lb Sargento’s sliced mozzarella
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 3 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 eggs, beaten
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the hamburger, sausage and garlic until brown. Drain off the excess fat. Add the tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste, basil, parsley, salt and ground black pepper. Stir together well. Simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan and the eggs, and stir together well.
- Lay 4 lasagna noodles in the bottom of a deep rectangular baking pan; the noodles should slightly overlap. Spoon half the cottage cheese mixture onto the noodles; spread to distribute evenly. Lay half the mozzarella on top of the cottage cheese mixture. Spoon just under half the meat mixture on top of the mozzarella, and spread evenly, being careful not to disrupt the layers below. Now repeat the process, beginning with a layer of lasagna noodles, followed by the cottage cheese mixture, followed by the mozzarella and ending with a thick layer of the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan over the top. Bake until the lasagna is hot and bubbly, 35 to 45 minutes. Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
Della made this gorgeous Banana Cream Pie for dessert! YUM!
Happy eating! 😊