Vegetarian Tortellini Soup was born of a need for a vegetarian side for my Portobello Mushroom “Burgers” with Sun-dried Tomato Aioli. A recipe challenge prompted me to explore some vegan/vegetarian recipe ideas and I wanted a nice brothy soup with chewy, chunky pieces of pasta in it. The Husband is a fan of most Italian fare and particularly any pasta with cheese. If you’re looking for a non-vegetarian version, you’ve found it as well. It’s super simple to add the protein of your choice to this wonderfully versatile soup. None of my guys are vegetarian, and neither am I so I added sausage after I took the pics. 🙂
I forgot to add the baby spinach before I ladled the soup and took pics, but I did add it after the fact. I was too hungry and tired to retake the pics so please try to use your imagination. 😉
Vegetarian Tortellini Soup
- 1 frozen bag cheese tortellini
- 1 tbsp. light olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 heaping tbsp. garlic, jarred minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth (already prepared or made from bouillon) (you can use beef or chicken for non-vegetarian)
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp. basil
- 2 tsp. oregano
- Pinch of thyme
- Pinch of rosemary
- 1 bag baby spinach
- Salt & pepper to taste (may not need salt!)
- 1 small can white or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb. fully cooked protein such as grilled tofu, roasted chicken (skinned & boned), sausage, smoked sausage, etc.
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley, chopped
In a large pot, sauté the onions and garlic in oil for 3-4 minutes, until lightly browned.
Add the broth, tomatoes, seasonings, beans and protein (if using).
Bring to a boil then add the frozen tortellini.
Bring back to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cook until tortellini are hot throughout and tender, about 15 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf before adding the baby spinach near the end.
Top with parsley and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
For those wondering what the difference is between vegetarianism and veganism, here’s a good article from Healthline – Vegan vs. Vegetarian: What’s the Difference?
Happy eating! 😊