Browned Butter Roasted Pumpkin Seeds – It’s that time of year again! Not only is pumpkin spice everything hitting the coffee and donut shops, but the kiddos are picking out costumes and carving up jack o’ lanterns. 🎃 No doubt there will be lots of yummy candy treats for those passing out the goodies and those dishing out the tricks to get them. 🎃 But there’s a super delicious treat hidden in the middle of those pumpkins and it’s worth the little bit of effort it takes to harvest them. If you’ve never saved the seeds to roast then you’re missing out on a delightful – and super nutritious – fall treat. 🎃
Youngest son, Noah, and his girlfriend decided to carve pumpkins this year. Having come to the U.S. from the Philippines, Halloween has never been a holiday her family seriously celebrated like so many Americans do. She wanted to carve a pumpkin for the first time ever and her doting boyfriend happily obliged. 🎃 Here’s the result:
Browned Butter Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
There are lots of different seasoning ideas for pumpkin seeds; it all depends on what flavor profile you’re in the mood for. This simple Browned Butter option is incredibly tasty and easy to make. These pumpkin seeds are the perfect accompaniment for movie night – much better for you than the traditional popcorn, more so if you know your pumpkin was organically grown pesticide and herbicide free. I don’t know if there are any GM (genetically modified) pumpkins out there yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised.
- Start by separating all the seeds from the pumpkin guts.
- Place them in a colander and rinse well.
- Spread them out on a clean, lint-free towel (they’ll stick to paper towels) to start drying – OR – for crispier seeds, place them in a pot of salted water and boil for 10 minutes then drain well and spread on the towel to dry.
Meanwhile, to make the brown butter
- Place 3-4 tablespoons of real butter (per cup of seeds) and place in a tall microwave safe bowl. Real butter will bubble up and foam when heated.
- Melt the butter on high for 2 minutes then check to see if the milk solids are starting to separate and fall to the bottom. They’ll look like brown bits and the overall appearance of the butter will be darkened.
- Continue to microwave in 30 second increments until desired browning is achieved. The wonderful nutty aroma will just about knock you off your feet! 😊
- Once the butter is browned, gather up the pumpkin seeds and pour them into the butter along with a teaspoon of kosher or sea salt.
- Mix well then spread out on a foil lined jelly roll pan and bake at 325°F for 15-30 minutes, until crispy, but not burnt.
- Carefully toss them around on the pan after 15 minutes to see how close they are to being nicely toasted.
- Bake them longer for crispier seeds, if desired.
Try not to burn your fingers and tongue, but these things are best still warm from the oven. Store in an airtight container.
Browned butter is fabulous on all kinds of foods. You won’t believe how crazy good it makes shrimp and fish!
Happy Halloween! 👻