Simplified Chicken Caprese Casserole happened thanks to my penchant for taking shortcuts whenever possible. I was searching for more healthy entrées when I came across a gorgeous image of caprese-stuffed chicken and knew I had to make it.
I didn’t have all the exact ingredients, but I was close and that was good enough for me. And, not one to avoid a shortcut if at all possible, I turned it into a casserole so I wouldn’t have to pound out the chicken. 😃 This dish is so easy and scrumptious every time!
Chicken Caprese Casserole
Created by Melissa Woolard | Culinary Craftiness
- 2 Tbsps. light olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 heaping tsps. jarred)
- 2 large bags baby spinach
- 1/4 cup water
- salt & pepper
- 6 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pkg. sliced smoky provolone cheese
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half (or 2-3 tomatoes diced and drained)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsps. dried crushed basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9? x 13? or larger baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat then add onion and saute for 4 minutes or so. Add garlic and continue cooking and stirring for about a minute. Add spinach and a 1/4 cup of water, season with salt and pepper, and then cook just until wilted, 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Spread the cubed chicken breast in the baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss around a bit to coat then spread out in an even layer.
- Cover chicken with spinach mixture then top with sliced provolone cheese.
- Spread halved grape tomatoes over the cheese then lightly salt and pepper. Cover tomatoes with shredded mozzarella cheese then sprinkle basil over all.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling around the edges and cheese is nicely browned. Serve with a crusty garlic bread.