Keto Cheesy Cauliflower Bake is a great low carb substitute for macaroni & cheese or my Cheesy Potatoes. They’re almost always the chosen side dish when we cook anything on the grill. However, I’m trying to reduce the amount of carbs I eat, so this cauliflower alternative gives me all the happy feel-good cheesiness I crave. 😋
This recipe is great if you’re short on time and don’t want the hassle of making a béchamel. Firstly, partially cook your cauliflower in a microwave safe dish. Secondly, put all the sauce ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl then heat to bubbling. Stir or whisk until smooth and all the cheeses are melted. After that, pour over the partially cooked cauliflower and maybe toss a little more shredded cheese on top. This dish is super delicious and great reheated as a side for another meal the following week.
Recipe by Melissa Woolard | Culinary Craftiness
- 2 heads cauliflower, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- 2 cups sharp shredded cheddar
- 1 bar cream cheese
- ½ stick butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Microwave cauliflower for 7-8 minutes, until partially tender. No need to add water.
- Place cream, butter, cheeses, mustard, salt and pepper in another microwave safe bowl. Heat on high 3-4 minutes, until bubbly. Whisk to incorporate melted cheeses.
- Spread cauliflower in a baking dish. Sprinkle with additional salt.
- Pour cheese over all and stir to cover all pieces of cauliflower.
- Bake, uncovered for 20 minutes. Sauce will thicken upon standing for 5-10 minutes.
Here’s the keto cheesy cauliflower bake pictured above with my crazy delicious Homemade Breaded Tenderloins. When I’m eating low-carb, I bread my tenderloins with almond flour. Not quite as tasty as cracker crumbs, but still worth writing home about! 😉
If you’re seriously living a ketogenic lifestyle, then you probably use a lot of shredded cheddar cheese. It’s worth getting a Sam’s Club membership (share the yearly cost with a buddy!) to get the absolute best deal on a 5 lb bag for around $13.50. That’s 80 oz of fabulous cheese for a steal! 😊
Happy eating, y’all!