This John Wayne Casserole took a shortcut and we’re glad it did. We were in the mood for something Mexican-y, but I didn’t have any taco or burrito shells in the house. I did have 2 cans of biscuits in the fridge needing to be put to good use and lots of cheese. I’d made a John Wayne Casserole before, but it called for elbow mac, eggs, and sliced tomatoes. No one in the house particularly cared for it. I loved the idea of this easy casserole, though, and wanted to give it another try.
So I changed it up to better suit our tastes based on a few different, yet similar, recipes. This was the result and it was a smashing success!
You could add the corn into the casserole as one of the layers. Or just keep it on the side. And if you love jalapenos, add a few in. I just let my guys liberally douse their portions with Texas Pete or Frank’s. 😎
Shortcut John Wayne Casserole
Created by Melissa Woolard | Culinary Craftiness
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped or 2 tablespoons dehydrated onions
- 2 pkgs. taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 7.5 oz. cans of biscuits
- 2 - 10 oz. cans Ro-tel, your choice of heat/flavor
- 1 can diced green chilis, your choice of heat level
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a large casserole dish.
- Brown ground beef and onions together, then drain fat. Mix in taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Simmer for 5 minutes or so just to let the sauce thicken slightly. Remove from heat.
- In separate bowl, mix together sour cream, 2 cups cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, salt, & pepper.
- Press biscuit dough in the bottom of the dish. Spread taco meat evenly over biscuits, then spread sour cream mixture over meat. Dot all over with Ro-tel and then green chilis. Finish off with the remaining 2 cups shredded cheese.
- Bake 23-28 minutes or until edges of dough are lightly browned. Over-baking will result in tough biscuits.
- Serve with shredded lettuce, extra salsa, and sliced or mashed avocado (or make guacamole without lime juice - it ruins the flavor of the avocado), if desired.
Add to this delicious casserole is this layered burrito dish. Burrito Casserole is super easy and takes the work out of everyone having to make their individual burritos.