This Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese is so easy and good, I make this often. I first tried this recipe because I didn’t have enough burners on the stove to cook every dish my family requests at Christmas and Easter. It reminded me a lot of my mom’s special baked mac & cheese the whole family raves about. This isn’t quite as good as mom’s, but close and a whole lot easier for regular weeknight suppers.
Jimmie saw this meme on facebook and sent it to me. There were no instructions, just the picture, so I put on my super sleuthing hat and did a Google image search to find the original. It came from Universal Life Church. I love it when people post cool recipes that can totally change someone’s life for the better. Of course, I changed it up just a bit. 🙂
NOTE: This recipe doesn’t seem to work for everyone. It could be the difference in Crock Pots or other slow cooker brands. There are a couple of options to try such as:
Original Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese
Cook the cream cheese, butter, and milks in the Crock Pot on high for 2 hours first, then add the uncooked macaroni noodles. Stir well. Cook for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Stir in shredded cheddar cheeses and continue cooking for another 1/2 hour or until noodles are tender. * I tried it this way, and while the flavor was great, the texture of the noodles was a little mealy. It did come out dryer, like a traditionally baked mac & cheese casserole, though. It took longer to cook the noodles. The family likes it cooked the original way better.
Next time I’ll try boiling the noodles for a little bit first. ↓
Cook the noodles in boiling water for 7 minutes first, drain, then add to the hot milk and cheeses in the Crock Pot. The overall cooking time would then be shortened to about 1 to 1.5 hours on low.
Try Paula Deen’s recipe @ http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/creamy-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe.html 😊
Created by Melissa Woolard | Culinary Craftiness
- 1 (16 oz.) box elbow macaroni
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 block (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese
- Pour the milks into the crock pot, cut up the butter and cream cheese into pieces, and stir in the entire box of macaroni. Cover with lid and turn to low.
- Cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring every 1/2 hour until the noodles are tender and the liquid is completely absorbed. Stir in all the cheese the last 1/2 hour.
- If you'd like a creamier mac & cheese, add a 1/4 - 1/3 cup of milk and stir until completely incorporated.
This recipe requires stirring every 20 minutes or so.