These beautiful log or roll-type cakes look really hard to make, but they’re easier than you might think! Moreover, if I can make them, anyone can. A good friend, Christa, gave me her recipe back in the early 2000s. She had a long list of people clamoring to get on her baking list every holiday season and I couldn’t blame them! She’s an awesome baker and these things are the bomb! After that first taste, my family was hooked. They request a Cream Cheese Pumpkin Roll every Thanksgiving and Christmas. 😊
Firstly, if you want the cream cheese layer bright white, don’t add the extra pumpkin pie spice to it. Secondly, if you want the pumpkin roll to taste super yummy, add it. 😋 Some logs roll up better than others and therefore may look prettier when sliced. However, they taste so fantastic, no one cares!
Cream Cheese Pumpkin Roll
The powdered sugar part is a little messy, but nothing a wet dish rag can’t clean up. And the rolling up of the log isn’t at all difficult. Have a large thin towel such as a tea towel or flour sack towel dusted with powdered sugar ready on the counter. Then, as soon as the cake comes out of the oven, turn it out onto the towel and roll it up. Easy-peasy. You’ll see. 😁
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice*
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 15x10 jellyroll pan with oil. Line with waxed paper, then spray and flour the waxed paper.
- Beat eggs and sugar with wire whisk. Mix in pumpkin. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice.
- Spread in prepared jellyroll pan. Sprinkle with nuts, if using.
- Bake 13-15 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed.
- Sprinkle a thin, lint-free towel with powdered sugar.
- Run knife around edge and carefully turn hot cake onto the towel. Peel off waxed paper (you may need to use a sharp knife to help peel it off). Starting at the narrow end, roll up cake and towel together. Place the log on a tray or plate and refrigerate for an hour or so, until completely cooled.
- Cream Cheese Filling: Beat cream cheese, butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, and vanilla with a wire whisk or mixer until smooth.
- Gently unroll cake - leave on towel for the moment - and spread the cream cheese filling to within an inch of the edges. It will squish to the edges as you roll the cake back up without the towel.
- Place the rerolled log onto a large piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or more, until ready to serve. Unroll, place on a tray or plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Slice off the not so pretty ends and eat them while nobody's looking. 🙂
- Slice into 1" pieces and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
So, knowing how easy this Cream Cheese Pumpkin Roll is to make, this one’s next on my list. I love, love, love, white wedding cake! It’s my absolute favorite when it comes from a legit bakery. Though this won’t be the same, maybe it’ll be close enough to satisfy my craving until the next wedding!
In conclusion… Happy eating!