Cauliflower with Saucy Meatballs came from me needing a substitute for these delicious Meatball Hoagies. The family loves them and so do I, but my waistline doesn’t so much. In an effort to cut out some of my favorite carbohydrates like bread and pasta, I’ve been substituting cauliflower in a lot of recipes. One of my favorites is using that vegetable steamed until just tender enough to fork easily and covering it with sauces that are made without any flour or starch as a thickener.
Cauliflower with meatball hoagie innards is fabulous stuff! I gently stirred the leftover sauce and meatballs with the cauliflower and divided portions into smaller, microwave safe bowls with lids for quick and delicious lunches. Love it and will be making this no matter if I’m low-carbing it or not! 🤗
P.S. It’s great without the cheese, too!
Lower Carb Cauliflower with Saucy Meatballs
Created by Melissa Woolard | Culinary Craftiness
- 1 bag frozen meatballs
- 1 ar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- Shredded Italian blend or Colby-Jack cheese
- 1 whole heads of cauliflower, cored and separated into somewhat larger than bite-sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a baking dish or pan. Arrange meatballs in a single layer on the sauce then evenly pour the remaining sauce over all. Cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Meanwhile, place the cauliflower in a large pot. Add 2-3 inches of water in the bottom. Salt well and stir to incorporate. Cover with lid and cook/steam over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until just fork tender. Overcooking will turn it to mush.
- Drain the cooked cauliflower extremely well. Return to pot and place back on hot burner to help evaporate any water left in the pieces.
- To serve, place several cauliflower florets on the bottom of a dish or plate, spoon meatballs and sauce over the top. Pile on however much cheese you'd like then microwave for a minute or two until the cheese has melted.
- Let cool for several minutes. The meatballs, sauce, and cheese will be very hot.