This Avocado Turkey Salad isn’t your ordinary leftover Thanksgiving turkey sandwich. You won’t find any cranberry sauce, gravy, or stuffing on it. Not that those things aren’t great on a sandwich, but that’s for another sandwich on another day. 😉
Awhile back on the blog, I posted my sister’s amazing chicken salad recipe. Grilled Avocado Turkey Salad is almost the same, with the obvious substitution of turkey in place of chicken, plus avocado, and it’s grilled. But you definitely don’t have to grill this or even eat it on bread if you’re restricting carbs in your diet. It tastes fantastic just by the forkful.
I used my homemade bread machine bread and it turned out so much better than using regular old bread. It had a lovely crispy buttery crunch on the outside, but stayed tender on the inside.
Grilled Avocado Turkey Salad with Grapes & Pecans
You can use red or green grapes in this, they both taste great. I forgot to pick up a bag at the store, but had a few saved in the freezer for one of those “just in case” moments.
Avocado, if used/eaten within an hour or so, is fine without lemon or lime juice to preserve it. If you plan to save any of this turkey salad for later, you’ll need to mix in a teaspoon of one or the other. I prefer lemon juice, but use whatever you have on hand.
Created by Melissa Woolard | Culinary Craftiness
- 2 cups chopped roasted white meat turkey
- 1 avocado, peeled & seed removed
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 10-12 grapes, cut in half longways
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, or to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sliced bread
- Softened butter to butter bread
- Mix the first six ingredients well. Adjust mayo and seasonings to taste.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread. Place first slice butter side down in a skillet. Pile with turkey salad then top with the other piece of butter bread, butter side up.
- Turn heat to medium and watch closely. Lift the edge of the bottom with a spatula after 2 minutes to see if the bottom is golden brown.
- Continue cooking until it is, then place a small plate on top of sandwich and hold it down with one hand, slide spatula completely under sandwich and flip in one smooth motion onto the plate. Slide off plate back into skillet and continue cooking until underside is to desired doneness. Be careful not to burn it.